In prior posts we discussed the importance of a strong web presence and mentioned the three key components of optimizing your website for high rankings in the search engines:
- Title tags
- Inbound links
Today, we’ll look at how a properly utilized blog can improve your search engine rankings, drive more prospective patients to your website and build trust and credibility.
Why you need a blog
1) Fresh Content is King – You may have heard the phrase “content is king”. Google and the other search engines are continually changing the formula they use to rank websites, however the one thing that has remained constant since they said it over a decade ago is the fact that they love fresh, relevant, original content. They do not like stagnant websites where nothing changes. A blog will prevent your website from getting stale.
2) Gain the trust of prospective patients – A blog can provide valuable content to both current and prospective patients. In addition to educating them, it also gives them a feel for how you run your practice, the services you provide and what they can expect when entrusting you with their dental care.
3) Increases your website’s page count – if integrated properly, each article added to your blog will be treated as a separate page by the search engines (additional indexed pages), which improves your site ranking and increases your credibility and authority with the search engines.
4) Provides original, unique content – many dental website design companies utilize the verbatim copy across multiple dental websites. This leads to an issue called duplicate content which negatively affects your website’s ranking in the search engines. A blog provides content on your website that doesn’t exist elsewhere on the web.
5) Increased traffic to your website – good blog content will bring your website more visitors. When we review website analytics for our clients, in many cases, their blog articles are the most visited pages on their websites.
6) Creates content that can be repurposed – not only can the article be posted to your blog, but it can also be used as an update to your Facebook, Twitter and Google+ accounts. We have developed a process for automating this function so no extra steps are required.
7) Attracts links to your website – inbound links (other websites pointing to yours) are an important factor in search engine rankings. Often, other website owners will find your blog content and link to it, providing you with a valuable one-way link.
A properly executed blogging strategy has always been a key component to a successful online marketing strategy, but with the recent round of updates by Google known as the Panda Update & the Freshness Update, having an active blog is more important than ever.
How to get started
Now that you know why blogs are a must-have, you’re probably wondering how to make all this happen. The first decision is whether you want to run a stand-along blog or integrate it into your existing website architecture. Without a doubt, you want it integrated into your website. Avoid the free, instant setup blogs such as Blogger.com.
Next is establishing a system for keeping your blog fresh. Ideally you’ll create an editorial calendar and regularly add good quality content. This can be done by you, assigned to someone in your office or outsourced.
If you would like information on how to properly integrate a blog into your website or to learn how our team of professional dental writers can manage your blog for you, please contact us today.