What makes a dental practice memorable to patients? Is it the impressive, cutting-edge dental technology? The convenient location? The caring and experienced dental hygienist team that helps put patients at ease during their procedures? Maybe. Chances are it’s probably a combination of all of those things (among others) that separate the memorable dental practices from the forgettable ones.
But what about your website? If you want to get more patients searching for a dentist online, a memorable website is a must! But how do you make sure that your practice website stands out among the endless sea of competitors in a Google search? Simple. Use powerful imagery.
One Picture is worth a Thousand Words
At its highest level, visual marketing can transform elusive or ethereal concepts into tangible products and services. For a dentist, visual marketing can turn a lackluster or “cookie-cutter” dental website into something that grabs the attention of even the busiest of potential patients. It’s no longer sufficient to tell your potential patients that you are the best choice for their family’s dental needs, you need to show them. Fortunately, visual marketing for dental websites (which usually translates to photos) has a relatively low cost and can make a world of difference to the success of your website design. Here are five things dentists should consider if they want to utilize the power of visual marketing on their website:
Be an Individual
In a 2012 study by ROI Research, 44% of respondents were more likely to engage with a branded product or service if they post photos on their social media pages. We think the same is true for a dentist’s website. In fact, the more unique your photos are, the more likely a potential patient will connect with you and your practice. Stock photos can absolutely be used and there are many reputable websites out there that provide high quality stock photos, but the more unique photos you can post about yourself, your staff and your patient cases on your website, the better.
Quality AND Quantity
Photos have become our preferred way to process the ever growing amount of online information we consume each day. So for a dentist looking to book more patients online, different types of photos are a great way to show potential patients why they should choose you! Depending on your marketing budget, here are some options for making sure your photos are of high quality:
- Use professional stock photos
- Hire a professional photographer
- Take the photos yourself – Most people today own high quality cameras and in some cases, an iPhone or Android camera can take a nice photo on “the go.”
TIP: Make sure all of your photos are of high quality, high resolution and formatted and sized properly. The photos should be crisp, clear and ideally, a “tight shot.” Read more about the importance of quality photos in our previous blog post.
Seeing is Believing! … Three Easy Photo Ops
Dentists are busy, but someone who might be even busier in your practice is your office manager. Taking and posting photos to your website is probably something that he or she doesn’t have time to do, and that’s understandable. However, building patient trustworthiness is a key element in successful website design and there is no better way to do that than showing your potential patients photos of your work and your office culture. Documenting this may seem like a time consuming process, but it doesn’t have to be. It’s actually something that all of your office staff can take part and share responsibility in. Here are some easy photo opportunities that make for great visual marketing:
- Before and After Patient Photos – Do you have a “No Cavity Club,” an “After Braces/Invisalign Club?” Have a hygienist take photos of your patients’ new beaming smiles and then post to your website! Just remember to make sure you get their signed consent before you post anything on your website. TIP: Ask each patient to sum up how they feel about their new smile in one sentence and it’s a quick way to get a patient testimonial to go along with the photo!
- Office Events – Staff birthdays, work anniversaries and new babies are great photo opportunities that add a high-level personal touch to your practice. Snap a few photos of your celebrations and viola! … Instant visual marketing. TIP: We’ve found that these types of pictures are the most “liked” and commented on in a dentist’s practice Facebook page. Make sure you post the photos there as well.
- Office Improvements or New Equipment – Office improvements and treatment equipment can be good photo opportunities, just make sure to include people in those photos.
The Dentist is Front and Center
Finally, the most important photo you can post on your website…IS YOURS! Our own Google Analytics study shows that the number one page visited by potential patients is the “Meet the Dentist/Meet the Doctor” page, closely followed by the “Meet the Team” page. We are visual people and research shows the photos we care about the most are photos of other people. So, why would the photo of our dentist, the person who takes care of our family’s oral health be any different? The bottom line? Make sure the photo of you is of high quality and easy to find on your website.
Want to make your website more memorable by incorporating more visual marketing strategies? We can help! Contact us today to find out how we help dentists design a website that works for them and their practice.
photo credit (CC)