It’s no secret that dentists and dental specialists who have videos on their practice website have the potential to be head and shoulders above their competition. Here’s why:
- 90% of information transmitted to the brain is visual, and visuals are processed 60,000X faster in the brain than text. – 3M Corporation, 2013
- 40% of people respond better to visual information than plain text. – Zabisco, 2013
- Viewers spend 100% more time on pages with videos on them. – MarketingSherpa, 2013
Plain and simple, your potential patients would rather “see” their information than “read” it. So, it shouldn’t be surprising that videos are also a highly effective way to e
ngage with your patients on social media networks like Facebook and Twitter. Fortunately, social media technology is rapidly developing new products and platforms that make it very easy for anyone to upload compelling videos in a matter of seconds, right from your smartphone or tablet. Here are two of the newest social media video options for dentists and dental specialists, along with a few tips and strategies for using them:
Since its inception, Instagram (which was recently purchased by Facebook) has been the preferred way to snap and share edited photos beautifully and simply. The social media network allows users to turn an ordinary photo taken with their smart phone into something much more compelling by adding filters and focus options. The photos can then be shared with your Instagram, Facebook and Twitter followers.
Up until 2 months ago, photos were the only story being shared on Instagram, but now, users have the option of shooting video. In June 2013, Instagram released a video option that allows users to take a 15 second video with easy editing and filter options, similar to Instagram photos. For some examples, check out Mashable’s article, “Instagram Video: 5 Excellent Examples from Brands.”
Vine is Twitter’s answer to social media micro-video. Released for public use in early 2013, videos on the Vine social network are only 6 seconds long and can be editing right within the app. However, vine doesn’t allow the user to add filters as Instagram video does. For a few examples of a Vine video, here are HootSuite’s favorites at “Five Great Brands on Vine.”
Why should a dentist use them?
So, why should a dental practice take the time to shoot and post videos to these two new social media platforms? Instagram Video and Vine do two things for your practice’s online marketing:
They supplement your social media strategy – Any video you take within your Instagram or Vine account can be posted directly to Facebook or Twitter with one finger tap on your smart phone; and the more variety in your social media timeline, the better. But, don’t get hung up on deciding which videos to take and how to take them. The beauty of micro-videos is that they capture life’s everyday moments; they shouldn’t be “too” polished. Look for the everyday moments at your practice, film them and post them.
They contribute to your search engine page rank – As we’ve mentioned before, Searchmetrics released a very revealing study in 2013 about online marketing factors and correlation to search engine page rank. In the study, 7 of the first 8 correlating factors were activity on social media networks like Google+, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. While it didn’t include Instagram or Vine in the correlating factors, all of your activity on these two networks can be shared on Facebook and Twitter; adding more shareable, likable, re-tweetable content to your primary social media accounts. TIP: Make sure you select “Share on Facebook and Twitter” when you are adding your caption and posting the video to Instagram or Vine from your smart phone.
Tips and Strategies
It’s clear social media videos can be a very powerful (and simple) way to connect with your patients online. But where do you start? Here are some unique ways you can utilize Vine and Instagram video to showcase your dental practice:
- Show your new equipment in action – Did you just get a new laser or 3D imaging system? Believe it or not, an interesting way to share your new high-tech equipment is by shooting a Vine or Instagram video. Want to increase your engagement? Have the dentist shoot the video and add commentary!
- Show your customer service in action – With your patient’s written permission, have a staff member film their check-out process. Engage your audience with a tongue-in-cheek question like “How’s our customer service? See it for yourself!”
- Introduce your staff – Do a short micro-video on Vine or Instagram video when you hire a new staff member. They can say something like: “My name is ______ and I’m the new _____ here at _______ dental practice. Nice to meet you!” It’s as simple as that. Make sure to share it from your Vine or Intagram app to Facebook and Twitter as well.
- Shoot unique patient testimonials – Use your Vine or Instagram app to shoot engaging patient testimonials right after a procedure. It’s the perfect way to get a smiling teenager to show off their new pearly whites right after getting braces removed or a bride getting her teeth whitened before her wedding. Get their signed permission, shoot the video and post away – all within less than a minute.
- Entertain your patients – We know this might sound crazy, but trust us, it’s a legitimate strategy. Most people using Vine and Instagram video are shooting funny, quirky or just “everyday” events. So, shoot a funny video of your hygienists having morning coffee or your office staff at a birthday celebration. It’s exactly the kind of content that your patients expect to see on social media.
Sounds fun, right? It is! Don’t let video marketing intimidate you. Vine and Instagram Video make shooting and including video in your online marketing and social media efforts easy and quick. For more information about social media or video marketing, contact our experienced team today.